Hope for young peopleovercoming challenges, making positive life choices and fulfilling potential
203 children from schools in Bristol and South Gloucestershire took part in Hope’s Place courses during the academic year 2017/18, 126 girls and 77 boys.
We measure our impact by a questionnaire filled in by each pupil at the start and end of the course. It was developed for work with girls, but over the past two years we have also adapted the system for use with boys. Statistical analysis on the results shows an increase in the average scores per question on a ten-point scale, of 0.8 for girls and 0.5 for boys. Taking into account the numbers of questions and children, these are statistically significant results, showing the positive impact of our courses.
More than through figures, though, the impact of our work is effectively communicated in the comments made by pupils:
- ‘’It has been amazing. It has helped a lot and I feel I can be myself more.’’
- “I enjoyed that everyone respects each other and doesn’t judge anyone.’’
and by teachers who have watched on:
- “I think it’s massively impacted them and given them masses more confidence.”
- “I have noticed a major difference in one of the girls who previously struggled to make new friends and talk to others. She is now much more capable of talking and listening to others and is now rarely alone at break/lunch times. Other girls who have historically had issues maintaining friendships now seem better equipped to deal with problems.”
- “The groups have been excellent. It has been very encouraging to see the girls who have done this and previous courses enjoying school more and being able to be themselves. Every week the girls were waiting at the door & were often early – I think this says it all! They have all spoken highly about the group & how good it felt to be listened to and valued. I think the sessions on friendships and beauty have had a really positive impact.”
Copyright © Hope’s Place 2016-8. Hope’s Place is a registered charity no. 1105139. Limited Company Number 5134542.