Hope for young peopleovercoming challenges, making positive life choices and fulfilling potential
250 boys and girls from 11 schools took part in 32 Hope’s Place courses during the academic year 2016/7.
We measure our impact by a questionnaire filled in by each pupil at the start and end of the course. It was developed for work with girls, but this year we have also adapted the system for use with boys. Statistical analysis on the results shows an increase in the average scores per question on a ten-point scale, of 1.2 for girls and 0.7 for boys. While these are the first boys to be surveyed, the results for girls show an encouraging increase even on last year’s numbers. Taking into account the numbers of questions and children, these are statistically significant results, showing the positive impact of our courses.
More than through figures, though, the impact of our work is effectively communicated in the comments made by pupils:
- “I have learnt that I am not alone, other people may have the same thoughts as me”
- “It has been amazing, it has helped a lot, and I feel like I can be myself more” and
- “(The group has been) Fun and very emotional because I’ve felt like I have connected with everyone”
and by teachers who have watched on:
- “I think it’s massively impacted them and given them masses more confidence.”
- “Every week the girls were waiting at the door & were often early – I think this says it all! They have all spoken highly about the group & how good it felt to be listened to and valued. I think the sessions on friendships and beauty have had a really positive impact”
- “It has been very encouraging to see the girls who have done this and previous courses enjoying school more and being able to be themselves.”
Copyright © Hope’s Place 2016. Hope’s Place is a registered charity no. 1105139. Limited Company Number 5134542.